Tuesday, January 11, 2011

girls night

So Sophie is now two months. And although I thought that the excitement and wonder would have worn off by now, it sure has not! Both Aidin and Emma are still as in love with her, if not more, than the first day! I do notice that they have reacted differently. They should, they are different themselves. Aidin is very sisterly as she has been through this before. This time though she is much more loving and caring. I think it may be because she is older, she is growing into a young woman herself. And as we grow we become less absorbed with ourselves and our own little world. (Or so we hope!) Emma on the other hand, is a mother ... like to the letter! She has even said to me "if I could nurse for you I would!" She is loving, attentive, and all doing! But she is only five, and I fear that she is losing her identity in mothering her sister.



As these weeks have flown past me, I have taken the time to watch them. Listen to what they are telling me in between the lines, and when they are not even talking out loud! And last night as I prayed for each of them I realized they need my relationship with each one to do one of two things. Either remain the same or change for the better. Which is kinda like "duh!" But it really isn't that simple. Emma is our baby. She had been for the last five years. The apple of our eyes. And now we've taken that from her and passed it on to Sophie. Whether deliberate or not, that's what we've done. As I watch her over these last weeks i realize that some of the mothering and worrying is because she has become unsure of her place in this family. That breaks my heart! But it's not too late!

Aidin is Aidin, she can take a lot when handed to her. She is the strongest young woman you will meet! However we have entered womanhood with her. And this is a crucial time in her life, especially hers. As she hasn't always had a stable father figure. So now that we are here, in a stable loving family; it is very important to make sure she is understood. That she feels safe and secure , and that we maintain an open dialogue about her life.

So as I prayed a thought came to my mind. A girls night. Who hasn't had a girls night right? Both Aidin and Emma are used to time alone with me. Sophie has needed almost all my time lately. So I've decided to make sure once a month I have each girl for some alone time. Which seems easy and not at all like a revelation. But as I prayed i got the idea of a book to give both of them, which I need to make this month! I guess it will be a binder of sorts. It will contain a calendar of each month with our special girls night highlighted. Each binder will contain pages after each month so we can record what we did and anything that comes to our hearts or minds. Hoping to get a little devotional time in there too. But I want to also include a page where we can add pictures of us together at each girls night. Which I think is so very important. I won't be here forever, and as they grow old themselves i think it would be such an amazing gift to be able to not only read about those times but look back on them as well. To see what we looked like and how we've changed.

Now what we do on that girls night will not be up to me at all. I will let each girl know a week in advance so they can pick what time of day, what activity/ies, where, all the details. This way they know the day/night is to be spent on them. Doing what they like, all the attention on them.

I know that this is exactly what Emma needs. I feel like I am giving Aidin two gifts in one though. I feel like she does need this right now in her journey of teenage years. But I also feel like it'll give back to her younger years too. I never did anything like this for her when Emma was born. And I believe we can that back!

I'm quite excited about it!!! Keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment